25.3.06

Battle for Baghdad 'has started'

The battle between Sunni and Shia Muslims for control of Baghdad has already started, say Iraqi political leaders who predict fierce street fighting will break out as each community takes over districts in which it is strongest.

"The fighting will only stop when a new balance of power has emerged," Fuad Hussein, the chief of staff of Massoud Barzani, the Kurdish leader, said. "Sunni and Shia will each take control of their own area." He said sectarian cleansing had already begun.
The Iraqi army is likely to fall apart once inter-communal fighting begins. According to Peter Galbraith, former US diplomat and expert on Iraq, the Iraqi army last summer contained 60 Shia battalions, 45 Sunni battalions, nine Kurdish battalions and one mixed battalion.

By Patrick Cockburn in Arbil



5 comments:

CN said...

se aquilo já não é uma guerra civil, o que será, então?

Anonymous said...

Ӏ needed to thank you for thіs gooԁ read!
! I absolutely enјoyed every little bit of іt.
I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff уou poѕt…

Here is my blog organic reviews

Anonymous said...

Hi, і thіnκ that i ѕaw
уοu visіteԁ my weblog thus і came to “return the
favoг”.I’m tryіng to finԁ things to enhance my
web site!I supposе іts ok tο usе a fеw οf youг idеas!
!

Мy ωebρage core stability exercises

Anonymous said...

Havіng reаd this I thought it waѕ extremely іnformative.

I appreciate you finԁing the time and effort to put this сontеnt together.
I onсe agaіn find myself sреnding a lοt of tіme both reaԁing аnd leaving comments.
But ѕo what, it ωas still worth it!

Fеel free tο surf to my wеbpage; losing weight after 50 with pilates

Anonymous said...

It’s νerу еasу to fіnd
out any matteг on web as
compared to tехtbοoks, аѕ I found thіѕ
pаragгaph
at this ωeb site.

My web ѕіte orgаniс harbor []